- Office Assistant
Virginia State Law requires students to attend school until age 18. Thomas A. Edison High School students are expected to be present in every virtual class on time every day.
Reporting Virtual Learning Absences:
- Parents should report their student’s absences to school any day students are unable to participate in learning, including on Mondays.
- COVID-19 related absences - If a student has been diagnosed with COVID-19, or is required to quarantine due to exposure, that needs to be reported to the school when the parent calls to excuse the absence.
- Parents must contact the school within five days to excuse an absence. Students whose parent/guardian does not call or send in a note receive an unexcused (UNX) absence.
- On Mondays students must submit a Google Form to be marked present. The form will be sent to all students via Schoology on Friday morning, and by email on Monday morning. Students can submit the form starting the Friday before until Monday at 3pm.
Virtual Classes start at 8:10 am. Students should sign on a few minutes before class so that they are ready to learn once instruction begins.
Excused absences include:
- Illness/ Doctor or dental appointment
- Death in the family
- Religious holiday
- Pre-arranged absences/Other – approved by principal
- Suspensions of ten days or less if parents and students participate satisfactorily in follow-up activities.
Unexcused absences include:
- Overslept (parent/guardian or student)
- Missed bus or ride
- Vehicle problem/Traffic
- Child care, including siblings and family
- Non-pre-arranged trip
- Other reason unacceptable to the administrator, or his or her designee, including unspecified "family emergencies"
Students who accumulate 10 or more all day unexcused absences may be referred to the Fairfax County Attendance Officer/Specialist and court system.
Pre-Arranged or Extended Absences:
- COVID-19 Extended Absence: If a student cannot attend virtual class due to unforeseen circumstances in the home environment, an excused absence can be arranged for up to five school days. This arrangement must be approved by Dean of Students, prior to the absence occurring.
- Pre-Arranged Absences (vacations, etc.) require two days written notice. Students should submit form se289 to their Sub-school. Please include the student's name, dates of absences, and reason for the absence. The parent will also provide a written statement, identifying the specific reason for the absence and the sub-school administrative assistant will telephone the parent to verify. The student must send this form to all of their teachers for signatures and comments. Additionally, the completed form must be submitted to the sub-school office prior to the absence. If a student fails to follow this procedure, the absence(s) will be recorded as unexcused.
- Extended Absences: If a student requires long-term medical care, parents should contact their child's school counselor.